There Is No Authority But Yourself.

...And if you don't have a gazillion dollars for a bass amp, build one yourself. Have a good friend with some knowledge and a soldering gun, gut out some old cones from smaller amps, I don't know - - there's always a way. I bourg'd out and purchased a cone. Since everything I have ever owned has been garbage and sounded like garbage (a sound I'm quite fond of) I was kind of eager to hear what a louder and cleaner sound could be produced with my bass guitar.

I'll just post some pics, I think they're pretty self explanatory:





This is the amp I got from Timbo, a Crate solid state 200 something something or other.



Here is das CONE. 15 INCHES.






Some HOME DEPOT action.




The initial build. Im building it large enough to later include some other subwoofers, maybe some 5" or 8"...not sure yet.



Here is Timbotronic soldering with his nifty blader runner-like third arm.



So far so good, it's sturdy as hell and loud as F when we tested it. Thinking now about how to finish the wood--lacquer, or resin, or stain...




It's all coming together, A-Team style. We put in a few braces to support the cone, which was more than enough, and luckily the cone weights NOTHING. All in all, steady as it goes!




Tim insisted we listen to The Cure while we put it together, I think a few tears of pain landed on the cabinet, so I'm guessing that's good luck. My tears, that is.




Installing the cone:



El Producto:



TOTAL. FUCKING. NERD OUT:


And there you have it my babies. A cabinet. An amplifier that rocks with an EQ. And a sound so warm it can make you take a nap, especially with all the June blue that's been kicking around lately. But I'm not complaining.


For your patience, some treats:

part I:
_01 Man Is The Bastard - Kai Lai
_02 Sleep - Dragonaut
_03 Sunn O)))/Boris - Akuma No Kuma
_04 Unwound - December
_05 The Soft Machine - Why Are We Sleeping



part II:
_06 Guru Guru - Electric Junk
_07 Sun Ra - Moon Dance
_08 Suppression - Dissect
_09 Telomere Repair - tugboatjetboat
_10 The Thrones - The Suckling
_11 OM - Rays Of The Sun _ The Shrinebuilder



Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

LAudaP said...

fuckin sick. you're my hero.

Post a Comment