Long live Van der Graaf Generator!



Wow, a flickery web-ad fell upon my eyes the other day and the retinal-burn left a charry vision of the following:



VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR
New York, NY [Nokia Theater]
Sun, Jun 21, 2009 08:00 PM



Over and over again, blinky blinky.

And yes, I've left enough space for the message above to burn into your very own eye balls, especially for those in the big rotten apple. Oh how I envy.

Well, I had heard of their (numerous) reunions, but I thought that had ended. To my suprise, Peter Hammill, Hugh Banton, and Guy Evans are the current line up of Van Der Graaf Generator and will be performing this summer. Exciting!



No seriously! Prog out with me for a second here. Van Der Graaf are like the dark side of the progressive rock moon. Don't you think? I think it's hot that they avoided using solo's, and that organ...oooh, to die for. Peter Hammill's lyrics and voice on The Aerosol Grey Machine (which was first to be released as Hammill's solo but some issues with the recording label forced them to release is as VDGG, 1969) are a bit rough, but as they continued to release albums they seem to have gotten better and better, peaking at around Pawn Hearts (1971).



Here's a four part performance by Van der Graaf Generator - Plague of Lighthouse Keepers (1-4) Thanks to PalepoliChild.

part I.


Part II.


Part III.


Part IV.



And if that's enough, you can read more about VDGG here.

xo
deegz


0 comments:

Post a Comment